Monday, November 8, 2010

Is it okay to copy feature articles?

Yesterday, one of my editors called up with yet another sad story of how a writer had just copy-pasted several of her articles from the web. She was sad and disappointed by the mixed ideas imposed on her - one of which was "It is okay to copy features".

She told me that it was definitely not okay and wanted my opinion too. I was reminded of an interview I read of J.K.Rowling in the newspaper.

Someone had claimed the Harry Potter series to be copied from their works. It was subsequently proved in the courts that the allegation was false. J.K.Rowling said of the incident, "It was like having someone call my child as their own".

That is the truth with any piece of work, whether fiction, non-fiction or features, I feel. What do you think? Is it okay to copy feature articles?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...